Connect with us

Sports TV News

Lupica Out At NY Daily News

Published

on

The Daily News began another round of cuts on Wednesday morning, marking the latest in a series of downsizings that have rocked the struggling tabloid over the past several years, POLITICO Media has learned.

The scope of the layoffs was unclear, but sources at the News said they would be companywide as opposed to concentrated solely in the newsroom.

The sources said Mike Lupica, a prominent columnist and longtime News employee, is among those who are heading out the door. News management and Lupica, who enjoyed one of the newsroom’s top salaries, were unable to come to terms on a new contract, the sources said.

Others who received pink slips include sports editor Teri Thompson, sports writer Filip Bondy and political columnist Bill Hammond. More layoffs are expected to be handed down on Thursday.

“We do not  discuss personnel issues,” said a spokesperson for the News.

The cuts come just days after the News announced that Colin Myler, its editor in chief of more than three years, is leaving to move back to his native London. His executive editor, Jim Rich, is set to replace him at the end of the year.

News owner Mort Zuckerman had recently attempted a sale of the paper, which is said to lose between $20 million and $30 million a year. He took it off the market after failing to attract any serious bids during the six months the News and its Jersey City printing plant were on the block.

While the News has seen a significant increase in its digital audience in recent years, that hasn’t been enough to counter a precipitous print circulation slide. As with all newspapers, advertising remains challenged as well.

As a result, the News has been no stranger to staff reductions. Earlier cullings since 2011 have claimed the jobs of high-profile longtime writers like Joanna Molloy and Albor Ruiz (who now freelances for the paper). It also shuttered its borough bureaus this year, a move than some saw as a symbolic death knell for a publication known as “New York’s Hometown Newspaper.”

At the same time, the News has been hiring writers to churn out content online. A few dozen entry-level web writers have begun working out of the Jersey City offices, which house the printing presses and various administrative departments.

Credit to Politico Media who originally published this article

Sports TV News

Lee Fitting: We’re Lucky Bosses Threw Rules Out For ManningCast

“This was the next step in the evolution, and one that gained a lot of recognition because of the crew and Peyton and Eli.”

Published

on

ESPN’s Lee Fitting made time to talk to Sports Video Group after the ManningCast took home the award for Best Live Series at the Sports Emmys on Tuesday night. He was holding the trophy, but said it took every person that worked on the show to make it worthy of that honor.

“This was the ultimate team effort, you know, for the Monday nights that we did it and, you know, like I said out there, we were just so spoiled to have Peyton and Eli at the center of it,” the network’s SVP of Production said.

He credited the quarterback mindset Peyton and Eli Manning brought to the project, saying that players have to be allowed to make plays. It wasn’t just important that the Manning brothers could do it. The network had to be willing to stay out of the way and let the ManningCast figure out what success looked like.

“We were just super lucky that our bosses just sort of threw the rules out the window with this one,” Fitting said.

While the alternate Monday Night Football broadcast received plenty of rave reviews, Fitting pointed out that he wasn’t really breaking new ground. He was taking a formula that had been proven to work and changing it up a bit.

“The Megacast has been around for a while now, and it continues to evolve. This was the next step in the evolution, and one that gained a lot of recognition because of the crew and Peyton and Eli.”

Peyton Manning’s Omaha Productions recently produced a similar alternate broadcast for the PGA Championship. It is contracted to build alternate, conversational broadcasts for UFC events and college football games next.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

John Buccigross: Return Of NHL ‘Reenergized’ Me In ESPN Role

“I’m just grateful that I was able to get reenergized without leaving the company that I’ve worked for so long.”

Published

on

John Buccigross is probably the most thankful out of anyone that the NHL returned to the ESPN airwaves this season.

Bucci has been at the network for 25 years and was a part of the coverage team the last time ESPN had NHL broadcast rights. He told Awful Announcing that the change after the 2003-04 season really helped change his focus at the network.

“It’s probably a good thing that it went away back in 2004, because I was able to focus on SportsCenter and kind of move up the ladder there, and maybe I never would have if hockey had stayed all these years,” he said. “Maybe that was good. And then I got involved with college hockey, I asked to do play-by-play a couple of years after we lost the NHL, so I’ve been doing college hockey for over 15 years with play-by-play, hoping we would get the NHL back and then I could do NHL play-by-play.”

Now the NHL is back, the Stanley Cup Final will air on ESPN and ABC, and John Buccigross will be a part of it in some fashion. He said having the chance to pick back up where he left off all those years ago gave him a second wind in his career.

“It’s been absolutely fantastic. It couldn’t have come at a better time for me in my career, being at ESPN over 25 years,” he said. “To kind of get reenergized, reinvigorated with your job after being in the same place for 25 years, that’s probably pretty rare. I’m just grateful that I was able to get reenergized without leaving the company that I’ve worked for so long. At this stage of my career, it was just perfect timing.”

ESPN and Turner Sports replaced NBC Sports as the U.S. broadcast rightsholders for the NHL this season.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Mark Sanchez Emerges As Potential #2 NFL Analyst At FOX

“It is believed that Joe Davis will be the play-by-play man to sit opposite either Brees or Sanchez in the booth.”

Published

on

Football season is 104 days away and FOX is still sorting out its broadcast crews for the upcoming season.

Enter former New York Jets quarterback Mark Sanchez as one of the top candidates being considered for the number two booth at FOX this season.

Andrew Marchand of The New York Post reported that if Drew Brees doesn’t end up in the role, Sanchez is next in line. Greg Olsen and Kevin Burkhardt will comprise the top broadcast team for FOX this season.

It is believed that Joe Davis will be the play-by-play man to sit opposite either Brees or Sanchez in the booth. Marchand reported that Sanchez made a great impression on producers in auditions and tests.

Mark Sanchez began his broadcasting career three years ago. After two seasons of covering college football for ESPN, he made the move to FOX last year.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.