“The biggest misconception to me in the sports radio world is that guests are important. They are not.” – Al Dukes
WFAN producer Al Dukes is my guest. I thought it was about time to get a producer slant on things. For some of our listeners, the behind-the-scenes work is what they want to know more about. Al gives great insight into that.
Plus, many of us (me included) got our start producing or at least running a board for someone else before we got “called up.”
Al’s trek to the executive producer’s chair for Boomer & Carton (Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton) is one that involved very little sports along the way, but now there isn’t but one thing he doesn’t like about his job.
Al delves into a little of the formula his show uses to succeed and the relationship he has with his hosts.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Al talks about how he got his start in this business. [3:33]
- Al explains the Boomer & Carton show and the philosophy behind it. [7:11]
- Al talks about NFL Mondays perhaps being their worst shows of the week. [8:40]
- Al lays out his typical day as a morning show producer. [9:46]
- Al talks about the dynamic between the radio show and the television network that simulcasts it. [15:30]
- Al brings up the toughest part of his job: sleep. [16:56]
- Al talks about his favorite part of the show everyday. [18:00]
- Al talks about the biggest misconception about sports radio. [19:14]
- Al talks about how Boomer & Craig have evolved over time. [25:01]
- Al gives his biggest pet peeve of sports radio hosts. [28:25]
- Al gives an interesting answer to who does his job better than anyone. [30:03]
- Al talks about who he thinks is the best host in sports radio, not at WFAN. [30:22]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST:
- Al’s resource that he uses at lot for his job–Feedly: feedly.com
- Al’s Twitter: @AlsBoringTweets
- Boomer and Carton’s Show Twitter account: @BoomerAndCarton
- Al’s Boring Podcast: iTunes
- Lids: I’m a customer and a proud member of the Lids Club, where I get discounts on all of the sports apparel they have under their roof both in their brick-and-mortar stores AND online. GET 20% OFF HATS AND 10% OFF EVERYTHING ELSE NOW BY SIGNING UP FOR THE LIDS CLUB AT THIS LINK: aboutsportsradio.com/getlids (NOTE: If you go through my link and get your 20% off, I do receive a small commission. Thanks in advance).
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or Al? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see attached to this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Producers Podcast – Billy Gil, The Dan Le Batard Show
Billy Gil relives the show’s exit from ESPN, talks about what he has learned about being part of the cast on a big show, and explains the value of being polite.
Brady Farkas is a sports radio professional with 5+ years of experience as a Program Director, On-Air Personality, Assistant Program Director and Producer in Burlington, VT and Albany, NY. He’s well versed in content creation, developing ideas to generate ratings and revenue, working in a team environment, and improving and growing digital content thru the use of social media, audio/video, and station websites. His primary goal is to host a daily sports talk program for a company/station that is dedicated to serving sports fans. You can find him on Twitter @WDEVRadioBrady and reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Seller to Seller: Adam Shifrin, Westwood One
Jeff Caves is a sales columnist for BSM working in radio, digital, hyper-local magazine, and sports sponsorship sales in DFW. He is credited with helping launch, build, and develop SPORTS RADIO The Ticket in Boise, Idaho, into the market’s top sports radio station. During his 26 year stay at KTIK, Caves hosted drive time, programmed the station, and excelled as a top seller. You can reach him by email at email@example.com or find him on Twitter @jeffcaves.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.