“We have to make sure that we’re good at content, sales and marketing. And if it’s not all three, then we’re failing ourselves and our team.” – Evan Cohen
Evan Cohen is one of a kind. He takes “radio life” to a whole new level. There are plenty of guys out there that are program directors or hosts, or both. But Evan goes one step further.
Evan is the Director of Content Development for Good Karma Brands, which has ESPN Radio stations in four different markets. That’s a job worthy of a full day’s attention. And he gives it that attention on top of hosting a radio show.
Not just one radio show. Two.
Cohen hosts The Morning Men on SiriusXM’s Mad Dog Radio (Channel 85) and then doubles down as the co-host of EvCoRadio on ESPN 106.3 in West Palm Beach in the afternoons.
He’s full of energy and his philosophy on radio is knowledgable and, better yet, addicting. A fascinating guest. I hope you enjoy listening as much as I did learning from him.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Evan talks about how he got into the business. [2:41]
- Evan talks about the moment that he recognized that something was going right for him in sports radio. [4:57]
- Evan goes into what his typical day entails, which is, as you would assume, very busy. [7:09]
- Evan talks about how exhaustive his business can be. [10:23]
- Evan goes into the comparisons and contrasts between his national morning show and his local afternoon show. [11:26]
- Evan talks about the biggest challenges in starting a new show with a new co-host. [14:03]
- As Director of Content Development overseeing many stations in multiple markets, Evan talks about the common topics he discusses with the program directors that work under him. [17:10]
- So, working on Mad Dog Radio on SiriusXM, what is Mad Dog like? [19:37]
- Evan talks about his biggest strength as a host. [21:37]
- Evan also talks about his biggest weakness in sports radio. [25:37]
- Evan discusses great radio hosts and hosts that have great facets in their game. [26:49]
- Evan gives his best sports talk radio host in America. It’s not who you might think. [29:55]
- Evan gives his biggest pet peeves of other sports hosts in the business. [31:07]
- Evan talks about what’s great about twitter as it pertains to sports radio. [32:30]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST:
- Audible: I know you love audio, so I teamed up with Audible, and if you haven’t already you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 100,000 titles for free at aboutsportsradio.com/audible. *
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or Evan? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see attached to this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Seller to Seller: Adam Shifrin, Westwood One
Jeff Caves is a sales columnist for BSM working in radio, digital, hyper-local magazine, and sports sponsorship sales in DFW. He is credited with helping launch, build, and develop SPORTS RADIO The Ticket in Boise, Idaho, into the market’s top sports radio station. During his 26 year stay at KTIK, Caves hosted drive time, programmed the station, and excelled as a top seller. You can reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or find him on Twitter @jeffcaves.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.
Sports Talkers Podcast: Tim Brando, FOX Sports
Tim Brando is a signature voice of college sports in America. In this episode, he talks to Stephen Strom about changing networks, his family, and why Spencer Tillman is so important to him.
Stephen Strom can be heard hosting ‘The Sports Talkers Podcast’ for Barrett Sports Media. In addition to hosting here, Stephen works as a broadcasting assistant for the Miami Heat and color analyst for Nova Southeastern. Additional career experiences include working for SiriusXM, performing analyst duties for Princeton basketball, and hosting shows for TalkNorth.com. You can find him on Twitter @SStrom_.