“We’re really a comedy show and no one has really grown tired of the bit just yet.” – Mike Ryan
Sometimes you just feel like you want to be a part of something you think is special.
That’s what happened to Mike Ryan. Mike is the super-sharp, super-creative executive producer of The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz. How did he get to that spot? He heard something one day. Mike tells that story that saw him go from veterinary sales to executive producer of one of the most popular shows in sports radi0–and how it didn’t necessarily happen overnight.
Mike talks pet peeves, the impact digital and–now–television have on the show, and how he works all in this podcast.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Mike talks about how he got into sports radio. [3:49]
- Mike talks about how he eventually worked his way up from intern to LeBatard’s show. [4:48]
- Mike talks about his typical day for him, which includes writing for Highly Questionable on ESPN. [6:56]
- Mike talks about how tough the transition from radio-show-to-radio-and-television-show. [8:39]
- Mike talks about the show’s consumption through all of the different mediums. [12:45]
- Mike gives his description of The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz. [15:01]
- Mike describes his on-air role in the show. [17:33]
- Mike gives his favorite benchmarks on the radio show. [18:50]
- Mike talks about how he thinks he, Dan and Stugotz have all evolved. [21:16]
- Mike talks about the things he does that annoys Dan and Stugotz. [25:56]
- Mike talks about the annoyances he has with other radio shows. [27:26]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Dan LeBatard Show, 4-7pm ET
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Mike Ryan.
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Seller to Seller: Adam Shifrin, Westwood One
Jeff Caves is a sales columnist for BSM working in radio, digital, hyper-local magazine, and sports sponsorship sales in DFW. He is credited with helping launch, build, and develop SPORTS RADIO The Ticket in Boise, Idaho, into the market’s top sports radio station. During his 26 year stay at KTIK, Caves hosted drive time, programmed the station, and excelled as a top seller. You can reach him by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or find him on Twitter @jeffcaves.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.
Sports Talkers Podcast: Tim Brando, FOX Sports
Tim Brando is a signature voice of college sports in America. In this episode, he talks to Stephen Strom about changing networks, his family, and why Spencer Tillman is so important to him.
Stephen Strom can be heard hosting ‘The Sports Talkers Podcast’ for Barrett Sports Media. In addition to hosting here, Stephen works as a broadcasting assistant for the Miami Heat and color analyst for Nova Southeastern. Additional career experiences include working for SiriusXM, performing analyst duties for Princeton basketball, and hosting shows for TalkNorth.com. You can find him on Twitter @SStrom_.