“Celebrating the awkwardness or the tense moments and having a little bit of a self-deprecating kind of approach to those types of things–I think it helps you connect with the audience more.” – Jeff “Skin” Wade
105.3 The Fan’s Skin Wade has one of the most creative sports radio shows in the country. Teamed with co-host Ben Rogers on the Dallas afternoon radio show, it’s likely you will hear something nearly completely different than you’ll hear on most stations around the country.
And being different is one of the many things that Wade is proud of his show for.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Skin talks about how he got that nickname. [1:24]
- Skin explains the berth of their radio show. [2:34]
- Skin describes the Ben & Skin show to listeners who have never heard it. [8:11]
- Skin explains why their interviewing is different. [11:31]
- Skin gives an interviewing story that proves that taking chances might whiff, but it still “works.” [14:54]
- Skin explains the importance of social media. [20:08]
- Skin talks about what the keys are to a long, successful run with the same radio partner [21:34]
- Skin tells a story of how one program director wanted to break Ben & Skin up. [22:54]
- Skin explains what makes a producer successful. [24:01]
- Skin gives who he thinks is great at radio. [25:31]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Skin Wade on Twitter: @skinwade
- Skin’s partner, Ben, on Twitter: @BenRogers
- Ben & Skin Show on Twitter: @BenAndSkin
- Ben & Skin Show at 105.3 The Fan
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. Bonus Audio with Skin Wade.
Jason Barrett is the owner and operator of Barrett Sports Media. Prior to launching BSM he served as a sports radio programmer, launching brands such as 95.7 The Game in San Francisco and 101 ESPN in St. Louis. He has also produced national shows for ESPN Radio including GameNight and the Dan Patrick Show. You can find him on Twitter @SportsRadioPD or reach him by email at JBarrett@sportsradiopd.com.
Media Noise: ESPN Shake Up Adds Local Flavor to New York Sports Radio
Demetri is joined by Derek Futterman and Garrett Searight this week as Media Noise does a deep dive into ESPN Radio’s lineup change, taking both a national and New York-centric view.
Demetri Ravanos is the Assistant Content Director for Barrett Sports Media. He hosts the Chewing Clock and Media Noise podcasts. He occasionally fills in on stations across the Carolinas. Previous stops include WAVH and WZEW in Mobile, AL, WBPT in Birmingham, AL and WBBB, WPTK and WDNC in Raleigh, NC. You can find him on Twitter @DemetriRavanos and reach him by email at DemetriTheGreek@gmail.com.
Sports Talkers Podcast: Tim Brando, FOX Sports
Tim Brando is a signature voice of college sports in America. In this episode, he talks to Stephen Strom about changing networks, his family, and why Spencer Tillman is so important to him.
Stephen Strom can be heard hosting ‘The Sports Talkers Podcast’ for Barrett Sports Media. In addition to hosting here, Stephen works as a broadcasting assistant for the Miami Heat and color analyst for Nova Southeastern. Additional career experiences include working for SiriusXM, performing analyst duties for Princeton basketball, and hosting shows for TalkNorth.com. You can find him on Twitter @SStrom_.
Producers Podcast: Anthony Pagnotta, WFNZ
WFNZ listeners better know Anthony Pagnotta as Flounder. He explains how he got the name and why it is good to be the butt of the jokes sometimes.
Brady Farkas is a sports radio professional with 5+ years of experience as a Program Director, On-Air Personality, Assistant Program Director and Producer in Burlington, VT and Albany, NY. He’s well versed in content creation, developing ideas to generate ratings and revenue, working in a team environment, and improving and growing digital content thru the use of social media, audio/video, and station websites. His primary goal is to host a daily sports talk program for a company/station that is dedicated to serving sports fans. You can find him on Twitter @WDEVRadioBrady and reach him by email at email@example.com.