After building a career as one of the sharpest programming executives in the radio industry, and leaving the business in the summer of 2018, many were surprised when Chris Oliviero was announced as the new Market Manager of Entercom New York in May 2020. On this episode, Chris tells Jason Barrett why he decided to return to the business, what he learned while on the outside, how he feels about the present and future of WFAN, where he stands on pursuing a reunion with Craig Carton, in addition to weighing in on a number of industry topics as well.
Additionally, Jason Barrett shares breaking news about a new venture being explored by his company which industry professionals will be interested in learning more about. Further details will be shared after Labor Day but the basics are passed along during the first minutes of the episode.
TOPICS COVERED WITH CHRIS:
- When the deal to become Market Manager came together
- What convinced him to return to the radio business
- What he learned and missed about the industry while away from it
- If local management is enough to satisfy his professional desires
- Confidence level in WFAN; what the brand needs to do to enjoy future success
- Planning for the day when Mark Chernoff rides off into the sunset
- How interested he is in reuniting Craig Carton and WFAN
- Why the mistakes of a few can’t take away from social media’s value to talent, brands, and the audience
- If more radio companies will follow Saga & Townsquare’s lead and move away from Nielsen
- The future of live and on-demand audio content
- How sports betting will influence the way sports talk radio is presented in the next 5-10 years
FROM THE GUEST:
Connect with Chris on Linkedin: Chris Oliviero