Connect with us

Sports TV News

NFL Tells 49ers To Keep 3rd Pick Under Wraps

The league wants to hold the suspense around the number three pick for as long as possible.

Russ Heltman

Published

on

A draft unlike any other has the NFL gritting their teeth as we approach the Jacksonville Jaguars selection around 8 p.m. ET. According to Pro Football Talk, the NFL is “pressing” the San Francisco 49ers to keep their decision with the third overall pick under wraps.

The first two picks in this year’s draft don’t carry much suspense. The Jacksonville Jaguars and New York Jets are heavily favored to select Trevor Lawrence and Zach Wilson, leaving the unknowns to their competition out west.

Most people assume the 49ers are taking a quarterback after moving up from pick 12 to pick three with the Miami Dolphins. Who that quarterback will be is the big question. The latest rumblings have the San Francisco personnel department leaning towards Trey Lance, while Kyle Shanahan leans towards Mac Jones. 

Only the San Francisco head coach knows who the 49ers will pick as he has the final say on quarterback decisions. The NFL is hoping he keeps that information to himself up until commissioner Roger Goodell reads the envelope on stage in Cleveland.

The league has also directed the same message to media affiliates. Asking NFL Network and ESPN not to tip any of the draft picks before they’re announced on stage. 

While at Yahoo! Sports, ESPN’s Adrian Wojnarowski was famous for nailing the correct choices on Twitter during NBA drafts. He’s adjusted his strategy in recent years after joining one of the league’s prominent affiliates.

Shanahan played coy with the media earlier this week when asked whether current starting quarterback Jimmy Garoppolo will be with the team following this weekend. 

“I can’t guarantee that anybody in the world will be alive on Sunday, so I can’t guarantee who will be on our roster on Sunday,” Shanahan said during Monday’s press conference. 

The wait for San Francisco’s first-round pick ends tonight when the NFL Draft kicks off.

Sports TV News

Pac-12 Networks Content Could Be Headed To ACC Network

“Dellenger and Forde report that talks to make the deal a reality are in the very early stages.”

Published

on

ESPN has been at the center of a lot of conversations about the future of college sports following the Big Ten plucking UCLA and USC out of the Pac-12. The network could be part of a broadcasting partnership that is meant to secure the futures of the Pac-12 and the ACC.

In a joint report for Sports Illustrated, Ross Dellenger and Pat Forde write that the two conferences would not merge, but that the ACC Network could get renamed and include content centered on both conferences.

A deal like this would pay dividends for all involved. The ACC would get more TV revenue and the Pac-12 would get broader distribution that it had with its proprietary Pac-12 Networks, which was reportedly struggling to even stay afloat. It could also secure the conference’s future as some members consider leaving for the Big 12. As for ESPN, this deal would put them back in business with the Pac-12.

A programming alliance between the two conferences could create some marquee non-conference matchups for football and basketball. That would give ESPN event programming to promote and sell.

Dellenger and Forde report that talks to make the deal a reality are in the very early stages. They write that “those briefed on the ACC–Pac-12 proposal believe it has plenty of hurdles to clear and details to be ironed out before becoming a reality.”

The obvious question all parties involved will want to be answered is would merging ACC Network and Pac-12 Networks content generate enough new revenue to make the move viable. Sources told Sports Illustrated that it is what they will be focused on if talks progress.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Brian Windhorst Explains What Was Behind His Viral Rant

“To be honest with you, part of what I was doing was trying to do was avoid aggregation,” he said. “Because if I come out and go I think the Jazz are going to trade Rudy Gobert today, then everything on the internet is ‘Windhorst Report: Jazz trade Gobert.’ And then maybe they don’t trade him.”

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

There wasn’t a ton of NBA free agency news leading into the long holiday weekend last week, but what news there was became wildly more interesting thanks to ESPN’s Brian Windhorst.

Windhorst, appearing on First Take on Friday, went on an entertaining rant about the Utah Jazz trading Royce O’Neale to Brooklyn, throwing tidbits out there that insinuated more was to come.

The monologue went viral and became the subject of plenty of memes.

Talking on his podcast Brian Windhorst & The Hoop Collective, Windhorst explained that the ‘A’ block of First Take is 30 minutes long, much different than the other ESPN shows he appears on. He said he approached it from a podcasting perspective and added that First Take was really the only place he could’ve pulled something like that off given a multitude of factors.

“It had to have occurred on a show like that,” Windhorst said. “So I was able to kind of draw out and kind of have a conversation about the Utah Jazz.”

Windhorst said he knew the Jazz were going to trade Rudy Gobert, which happened not long after his rant started circulating the internet. But he said he needed to avoid tipping others in the media off or potentially even wrecking the trade before it became official.

“To be honest with you, part of what I was doing was trying to do was avoid aggregation,” he said. “Because if I come out and go I think the Jazz are going to trade Rudy Gobert today, then everything on the internet is ‘Windhorst Report: Jazz trade Gobert.’ And then maybe they don’t trade him.”

Windhorst said he knew he was becoming the subject of many a meme, but after being on the road so long and away from home covering the NBA playoffs, he didn’t really have a chance to relish in the moment.

“I came back home and had nonstop family stuff to do, and they didn’t care about any of that,” he said. “I was getting like 250 text messages and seeing all these memes, but I had to prepare for the people we had coming over for the 4th of July. I couldn’t really focus on it.”

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

UFC Draws Record Ratings for UFC 276 Prelims on ESPN and ABC

The ratings make it the second-most watched UFC telecast since the promotion began airing on ESPN in 2019. It was also the top telecast ever for a preliminary card.

Jordan Bondurant

Published

on

UFC, ESPN and ABC have plenty to celebrate following this weekend’s UFC 276 pay-per-view.

Ratings for the preliminary card show a combined audience of 1.8 million tuned in across ABC and ESPN. ABC drew 929,000 viewers for their portion of the card, which marked the first time UFC aired in primetime on the network.

ESPN drew 871,000 in the lead-up to the main card from Las Vegas.

The ratings make it the second-most watched UFC telecast since the promotion began airing on ESPN in 2019. It was also the top telecast ever for a preliminary card.

UFC will return to ABC on July 16 but won’t air in primetime. Coverage of UFC Fight Night from UBS Arena on Long Island will air in the afternoon.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.