Rich Eisen might not blow any scouts away with his 40-yard dash time these days, but he is putting a dent on cancer. Eisen runs the famous football drill every year at the NFL Combine in Indianapolis. So when the league canceled this year’s event, the show had to go on at the next stop on the calendar: The 2021 NFL Draft.
The #RunRichRun campaign continues this weekend, with Eisen sprinting another 40-yard dash to benefit St. Jude Children’s Research Hospital. This is the only time NFL Network’s first host has run the drill around NFL Draft coverage and not the NFL Combine.
Eight NFL players have matched up with eight other entrepreneurs to donate money to the cause. The legends include Jerry Rice, Ray Lewis, Cris Carter, Rod Woodson, Terrell Davis, Michael Vick, Torry Holt, and Eric Metcalf. The entrepreneurs include DraftKings CEO Jason Robins and the most recent bidder for the Minnesota Timberwolves, Marc Lore.
“We have eight awesome donors and benefactors,” Eisen said. “Who have already donated more than $1 million so they can run with eight NFL legends who are taking time out of their April day to come here and raise more money for St. Jude.”
Since this idea started six years ago, the campaign has raised over $2.5 million for St. Jude. The NFL has also partnered with the research hospital on the “NFL Play 60” campaign since 2012. Fans with some gas left in their athletic tank can support the cause on social media by recording themselves running the forty and posting on Twitter with #RunYour40.
“It’s humbling, and it’s awesome,” Eisen said about the experience.
Eisen is fresh off a 5.98 second time at last year’s Combine. His record 40-yard dash is 5.94 seconds set back in 2016. Fans wanting to donate directly to St. Jude can do so here.
Mike Tirico, Tom Brady, Manningcast Win Sports Emmys
The annual Sports Emmys were handed out on Tuesday night, and some usual names and new names ended up taking home hardware.
Among the usual names were NBC’s Mike Tirico, who won for Outstanding Personality/Studio Host, and soon-to-be Sunday Night Football broadcast colleague Cris Collinsworth, who was named Outstanding Personality/Sports Event Analyst.
But among the new names as Sports Emmy winners include Tom Brady and both Eli and Peyton Manning.
Brady’s Man in the Arena saga won Outstanding Documentary Series, while the Mannings were rewarded for their work on the Monday Night Football Manningcast, which won Outstanding Live Series.
Here’s a rundown of some of the key Sports Emmy winners:
Here is a full list of winners and nominees for the 2022 ceremony.
Joe Buck Says He Won’t Miss World Series
“This is the first time since I was 18-years-old, and I’m 53, that I’m not doing a baseball game.”
Among the bigger chain reactions set off by Joe Buck leaving FOX for ESPN was the sudden vacancy in FOX’s main MLB broadcast booth.
The 2022 World Series will mark the first time since 1995 that Buck will not be on the microphone.
Speaking to Chris Long on his podcast Green Light, Buck hopes to be in a more exotic location watching World Series games this fall.
“I would like to be in Cabo San Lucas with a margarita in my hand and a half-smoked cigar watching Game 7 of the World Series,” Buck said. “Cheering on Joe Davis and John Smoltz, and Ken Rosenthal, and Tom Verducci, and Pete Macheska and Matt Gangl and right on down the line.”
Buck added he’ll take pleasure in turning the broadcast off if it’s Game 7 and there’s an insurmountable lead. But the broadcasting legend said even on a bigger scale, not calling any baseball games at all this season, let alone the World Series, is a bit surreal after covering the sport for so long.
“This is the first time since I was 18-years-old, and I’m 53, that I’m not doing a baseball game,” he said. “And that’s really weird to me, but I walk away really proud of what I and we did.”
He added that he will not miss the opportunity, because he does not feel like he will “leave any unfinished business” in FOX’s MLB booth.
Buck further praised his FOX colleagues and said it was time for a change. He knows Joe Davis will thrive in the opportunity.
NFL Likely To Launch NFL+ Streaming Service This Summer
“A source tells Fischer that a $5 per month price has been discussed for NFL+.”
According to the Sports Business Journal, consumers could be downloading NFL+ by July. Now, just what NFL+ will be is still yet to be finalized.
Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal reported in the site’s newsletter that live games will certainly be at the center of the league-owned streaming service. It is likely to only be available on phones and tablets with no option to stream to a larger monitor.
The viewing options would be limited. No out of market games would be available on the app. It is meant to replace the deals that recently expired with Yahoo and mobile phone carriers that recently expired.
The app could also include other content. Radio calls, team-created digital content, and league-owned podcasts are all options.
A source tells Fischer that a $5 per month price has been discussed for NFL+. The pricing structure can and likely will change before the app hits the market.