Connect with us
Jim Cutler Demos

News Television

Miami Police Chief Speaks Out Against Texas Gun Bill

Chief Acevedo was previously in charge of the Houston Police Department

Eduardo Razo

Published

on

Photo: LoneStarMike, CC BY 3.0

Last week, the Texas Legislature approved the bill that looks to end most handgun licensing requirements in the state, allowing citizens to carry handguns without a license and the background check and training.

Miami Police Chief Art Acevedo, who spent five years at the head of the Houston Police Department, made an appearance on CBS News “Face the Nation” to discuss the “constitutional carry” bill. 

“Look, there’s something that God gave us, and that’s common sense,” Acevedo said. “And common sense tells us that that is ridiculous. Law enforcement, police chiefs, sheriffs, police labor stood up together and made it real clear we do not support constitutional carry here in Texas or anywhere in this country.”

Texas Gov. Greg Abbott stated he would sign the bill despite disapproval from law enforcement organizations who urged the bill could compromise the safety of the public and police officers.

“Most American gun owners don’t support constitutional carry,” Acevedo said. “They only support the Blue in word. It’s now time to support the Blue in deed by vetoing that bill. You’re either with law enforcement or you stand with the fringe that believe that everybody should have a firearm regardless of their character, their capabilities, or their mental capacity.”

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

News Television

Outkick’s Tomi Lahren Takes Aim at the New York Times Over ‘The Little Mermaid’

“The review of The Times’s new live-action children’s film has sparked online backlash due to its critique suggesting the absence of ‘kink’.”

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

Photo Credit: Fox News

On “Fox & Friends First” Tuesday, Tomi Lahren of OutKick strongly criticized The New York Times for publishing a review of “The Little Mermaid” that denounced its absence of fun, boldness, and “unconventional elements.” Lahren expressed her strong disdain for the review, referring to it as “repugnant,” and warned companies about the importance of acknowledging the concerns of conservative parents.

“It’s completely disgusting that they would associate this with a children’s movie. But when these writers, these institutions, these publications tell you who they are, believe them. And again, this is just another notch in the belt with these leftist organizations sexualizing, exploiting children,” she said.

The review of The Times’s new live-action children’s film has sparked online backlash due to its critique suggesting the absence of “kink.”

According to movie critic Wesley Morris, who penned the review for The Times, “The new, live-action ‘The Little Mermaid’ embodies everything that nobody should desire in a movie: obedient and guarded, yet yearning for validation.”

“They have found the hill that conservatives and decent folks are willing to die on, protecting children. And we will do it every single time, ask Target, ask Bud Light, ask Kohl’s,” Lahren said. “We will protect children. We will keep them from being exploited. We will do it every time. Do not mess with us. We are done playing with this.”

Online attention was drawn to the reference to “kink” in The New York Times movie review, as highlighted by Fox News Digital. In the context of pop culture, “kink” can sometimes refer to someone’s unconventional sexual preference.

This sparked a debate among online film enthusiasts, particularly considering that “The Little Mermaid” holds a PG rating and is primarily targeted at children and families. Many individuals have questioned the necessity of including the word in the review and expressed divided opinions on its intended meaning.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Ron DeSantis Still Prefers Cable News Over Social Media

“I was just in a room in Florida, so I didn’t really know necessarily what was going on.”

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

Ron DeSantis, the potential Republican presidential candidate for 2024, expressed to Newsmax host Eric Bolling that he doesn’t prioritize social media and prefers watching cable news over using apps.

According to Mediate, this statement comes after his unsuccessful campaign launch on Twitter earlier this week. On Newsmax’s The Balance on Thursday, DeSantis mentioned that Twitter had high expectations of attracting a large audience for the event.

When asked by Bolling whether he had received any communication from Rupert Murdoch, the executive chairman of News Corp, or Murdoch’s sons regarding his choice to launch his campaign on Twitter instead of Fox News, DeSantis responded by saying, “No, we didn’t. But I understand. Different people have different perspectives on these matters.”

DeSantis further admitted, “Personally, I’m not particularly active on social media. I prefer watching programs like yours rather than using apps. However, I acknowledge that social media holds great importance for many individuals.”

Explaining his decision to launch the campaign on Twitter, DeSantis highlighted the platform’s role in promoting free speech and how it had become an outlet for conservatives to voice their opinions and challenge established media platforms, particularly following Elon Musk’s involvement. DeSantis viewed this as a significant factor in his choice.

“They were anticipating a lot of people, but there were more people that tried to sign up than even what Twitter had anticipated,” he claimed. “I was just in a room in Florida, so I didn’t really know necessarily what was going on.”

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Chadwick Moore Says He’s Been Banned By Fox News

“I’ve been canceled by liberal corporate media, and now I’m canceled by corporate conservative media.”

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

Chadwick Moore, a contributing editor at The Spectator and the writer of an upcoming biography about Tucker Carlson, asserted in a series of tweets on Sunday evening that he had experienced a form of professional exclusion known as “cancellation” by Fox News.

The situation unfolded when Moore mentioned that he could no longer appear on FNC for writing a book about Tucker Carlson.

“I’ve been banned from the network,” he added before reporting that Fox News employees had told him “privately that all on-air talent have been banned from saying the name ‘Tucker’ on air,” he said.

Recently, Moore stated that he could verify allegations claiming that Fox News terminated Carlson’s employment last month as a confidential provision of their $787.5 billion settlement with Dominion Voting Systems. This settlement arose from accusations of disseminating false information about Dominion Voting Systems on several Fox programs, including “Tucker Carlson Tonight.”

“This is FACT: Fox News has a new policy (aside from banning me): they won’t plug any book from a guest unless HarperCollins published it,” said Moore. “You can’t be a guest on Fox unless you’re a Fox author…it’s all so hilarious and grotesque. Fox News will not let you promote your book unless Fox News publishes your book.”

“I’ve been canceled by liberal corporate media, and now I’m canceled by corporate conservative media. I think I’ll be fine. I couldn’t care less,” he added.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement

Upcoming Events

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.