Connect with us
Jim Cutler Demos

News Television

John Oliver Rips Parents Who Are Fighting Mask Mandates in Schools

“We are only fighting about masks in school right now because there are a bunch of foolish adults who have decided not to get the vaccine.”

Eduardo Razo

Published

on

HBO

As kids prepare to go back to in-person school, school districts have the issue regarding which COVID-19 precautions they’ll be enforcing, such as having mask mandates. 

These conversations that board meetings are having have created many heated debates and, often, verbal altercations, as John Oliver pointed out in this past weekend’s “Last Week Tonight with John Oliver.”

In a clip, Oliver showed one person attending a school board meeting giving what seemed to be the Nazi salute to the members following their decision on voting to require masks. 

Meanwhile, another video displayed a school board member who voted for a mask mandate being harassed by those waiting outside. The people were shouting, “You can leave freely, but we will find you, and we know who you are,” and “You will never be allowed in public again.”

“It is genuinely hard to imagine a five-word phrase less welcome than ‘We know who you are’ — aside from, obviously, ‘new Jeopardy! host Mike Richards,” Oliver said. “You can’t help thinking that some of the fuss over masks is more about the parents than about the kids.”

Finally, Oliver ended the opening segment by stating that the first significant influx of COVID cases in children is mainly occurring in low-vaccinated states.

“We are only fighting about masks in school right now because there are a bunch of foolish adults who have decided not to get the vaccine, and to all of them, I can only say, to quote a bunch of upsettingly loud idiots, ‘We know who you are, and you’re the f—–g problem,'” Oliver said. 

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

News Television

CNN Adding New Bill Maher Show to Friday Night Lineup

The addition of Maher’s segments is a logical choice for the network, as Real Time with Bill Maher currently airs on Fridays at 10:00 PM ET on HBO. HBO and CNN are both owned by media conglomerate Warner Bros. Discovery.

Avatar photo

Published

on

A photo of Bill Maher

Segments from Real Time with Bill Maher are being repackaged for a new show on CNN that will be seen on Friday evenings.

The Overtime segment from Maher’s Real Time show will air on CNN at 11:30 PM ET beginning Friday, February 3rd.

The segment features Maher and an assembled panel discussing news and pop culture topics. The segment had previously only aired digitally, but will now have a linear television home on CNN.

CNN has been open about its desire to add a comedian to its lineup. A report from Semafor earlier this month claimed “They’re looking for their version of John Oliver”.

The addition of Maher’s segments is a logical choice for the network, as Real Time with Bill Maher currently airs on Fridays at 10:00 PM ET on HBO. HBO and CNN are both owned by media conglomerate Warner Bros. Discovery.

It is a return to basic cable for Maher, whose Real Time show has aired on HBO since 2003. He previously hosted Politically Incorrect with Bill Maher on Comedy Central from 1993-1996 before the show shifted to airing on ABC from 1997 to 2002.

Airing at 11:30 PM ET, Overtime will compete against late-night shows like Jimmy Kimmel Live, The Tonight Show with Jimmy Fallon, and The Late Show with Stephen Colbert. However, many of those programs offer re-runs on Friday evenings.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

FOX News’ Trey Gowdy Releases New Book About Success

“Who defines success for you? It took me a while to get out of letting other people do it.” 

Ryan Hedrick

Published

on

A picture of Trey Gowdy

Success has a different definition for each one of us. Former prosecutor, politician, and now Fox News host Trey Gowdy said success is an ongoing effort for him. In a new book, Gowdy shares the framework for what made him a successful professional. Recently, he joined The Brian Kilmeade Show to discuss his new project Start, Stay, or Leave: The Art of Decision Making.

“I write in this book about some of the best-known names in history,” said Gowdy. “Who defines success for you? It took me a while to get out of letting other people do it.” 

Gowdy said that he used to follow the pyramid defined for success, meaning that he used to think that he needed to do things that other people didn’t do. 

“I need the mirror approach,” he explained. “Do I like the person I see in the mirror? The people that are closest to me; my wife, my children, my parents, my closest friends, are they proud of what they see?” 

Gowdy served as the U.S. representative for South Carolina’s 4th congressional district from 2011 to 2019. He served as a federal prosecutor in the District of South Carolina from 1994 to 2000 and then as the district attorney for South Carolina’s Seventh Judicial Circuit, comprising Spartanburg and Cherokee counties from 2000 to 2010.

“My parent’s generation was different. If you were good at something they thought that God gave you a gift and you had to use it,” said Gowdy. “I have kind of pivoted to, if he (God) gave you the gift, he should also give you the desire.” 

Gowdy added that he takes a similar approach with his children in that if they are good at something, he uses love to guide his decision making and his approach to handle the situation. He added that over the years, he’s made some great decisions and some not-so-great ones.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Amy Robach, T.J. Holmes Officially Depart ABC News

“We all agreed it’s best for everyone that they move on from ABC News.”

Avatar photo

Published

on

A photo of Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes

After news of a negotiation between GMA3 anchors Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes and ABC News regarding their potential exit was revealed Friday, the deal is now official.

“After several productive conversations with Amy Robach and T.J. Holmes, about different options, we all agreed it’s best for everyone that they move on from ABC News,” a network spokesperson said. “We recognize their talent and commitment over the years and are thankful for their contributions.”

The anchors became embroiled in controversy late last year after an investigation into an alleged romantic relationship between the separately married pair came to light. The reports were revealed in early December, with ABC News President Kim Godwin removing the anchors from Good Morning America’s third hour on December 5th.

“These decisions are not easy, they are not knee-jerk, but they are necessary for the brand and for our priority which, you guys know, are all of us — the people here at ABC,” Godwin reportedly told employees at the time of the announcement.

“There is a lot of frustration on all sides that it could have been handled better,” a source told CNN’s Oliver Darcy.

Robach joined ABC News in 2012 before anchoring GMA3 in 2020. Previously, she worked at both NBC News and MSNBC. Holmes was added to ABC News in 2014, also adding anchoring duties for GMA3 in 2020. Before his time at ABC, Holmes worked at CNN, BET, and MSNBC.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement

Upcoming Events

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.