Connect with us

Sports TV News

DISH, Sinclair Reach Temporary Agreement

“The two sides had been lobbing blame at one another in the lead up to this extension.”

Published

on

Courtesy: Sinclair Broadcast Group

Sinclair Broadcast Group and Dish Network temporarily resolved their dispute this week. 

According to USA TODAY, the satellite company’s 3 million subscribers were about to lose their local Sinclair station, but the two sides temporarily agreed to extend their deal. Around 100 TV stations were at risk of being pulled by Dish if an agreement wasn’t finalized by Monday.

“We have agreed to a short-term extension with DISH to continue conversations,” senior vice president and general counsel for Sinclair Broadcast Group David Gibber said in a statement to USA TODAY. “We will continue to update our viewers as this develops. Sinclair stands willing to continue to negotiate in good faith and to enter into a longer extension to allow for the continued carriage of our channels to DISH’s subscribers.”

RSNs such as the Bally Sports networks haven’t been carried by the satellite provider since 2019. The two sides had been lobbing blame at one another in the lead up to this extension.

Last week, Dish accused Sinclair of “trying to use its market power to demand an unreasonable fee increase, using millions of Americans as pawns in its negotiations,” in a news release.

Sinclair came right back with their release, stating Dish “has a demonstrated track record of dropping local and national programming that viewers value.”

The timing in these disputes is crucial as the lead-up to football season begins — which broadcast companies hope leverage negotiations in their favor. Football is king in the United States, especially the NFL. 22 of the 25 highest-rated TV events of the past year were NFL games.

Access to local TV is still imperative for fans that want to watch their hometown without navigating blackouts. The powers that be know this all too well. We’ll see how this particular negotiation develops as the NFL kicks off their 2022 season in early September.

Sports TV News

Mike Tirico, Tom Brady, Manningcast Win Sports Emmys

Published

on

The annual Sports Emmys were handed out on Tuesday night, and some usual names and new names ended up taking home hardware.

Among the usual names were NBC’s Mike Tirico, who won for Outstanding Personality/Studio Host, and soon-to-be Sunday Night Football broadcast colleague Cris Collinsworth, who was named Outstanding Personality/Sports Event Analyst.

But among the new names as Sports Emmy winners include Tom Brady and both Eli and Peyton Manning.

Brady’s Man in the Arena saga won Outstanding Documentary Series, while the Mannings were rewarded for their work on the Monday Night Football Manningcast, which won Outstanding Live Series.

Here’s a rundown of some of the key Sports Emmy winners:

Here is a full list of winners and nominees for the 2022 ceremony.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Joe Buck Says He Won’t Miss World Series

“This is the first time since I was 18-years-old, and I’m 53, that I’m not doing a baseball game.”

Published

on

USA Today

Among the bigger chain reactions set off by Joe Buck leaving FOX for ESPN was the sudden vacancy in FOX’s main MLB broadcast booth.

The 2022 World Series will mark the first time since 1995 that Buck will not be on the microphone.

Speaking to Chris Long on his podcast Green Light, Buck hopes to be in a more exotic location watching World Series games this fall.

“I would like to be in Cabo San Lucas with a margarita in my hand and a half-smoked cigar watching Game 7 of the World Series,” Buck said. “Cheering on Joe Davis and John Smoltz, and Ken Rosenthal, and Tom Verducci, and Pete Macheska and Matt Gangl and right on down the line.”

Buck added he’ll take pleasure in turning the broadcast off if it’s Game 7 and there’s an insurmountable lead. But the broadcasting legend said even on a bigger scale, not calling any baseball games at all this season, let alone the World Series, is a bit surreal after covering the sport for so long.

“This is the first time since I was 18-years-old, and I’m 53, that I’m not doing a baseball game,” he said. “And that’s really weird to me, but I walk away really proud of what I and we did.”

He added that he will not miss the opportunity, because he does not feel like he will “leave any unfinished business” in FOX’s MLB booth.

Buck further praised his FOX colleagues and said it was time for a change. He knows Joe Davis will thrive in the opportunity.

Continue Reading

Sports TV News

NFL Likely To Launch NFL+ Streaming Service This Summer

“A source tells Fischer that a $5 per month price has been discussed for NFL+.”

Published

on

According to the Sports Business Journal, consumers could be downloading NFL+ by July. Now, just what NFL+ will be is still yet to be finalized.

Ben Fischer of Sports Business Journal reported in the site’s newsletter that live games will certainly be at the center of the league-owned streaming service. It is likely to only be available on phones and tablets with no option to stream to a larger monitor.

The viewing options would be limited. No out of market games would be available on the app. It is meant to replace the deals that recently expired with Yahoo and mobile phone carriers that recently expired.

The app could also include other content. Radio calls, team-created digital content, and league-owned podcasts are all options. 

NFL+ would make NFL Media more valuable. The league is trying to sell an equity stake in its linear TV and digital media properties. Amazon and Apple are considered the most likely to make a deal. 

A source tells Fischer that a $5 per month price has been discussed for NFL+. The pricing structure can and likely will change before the app hits the market.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.