Connect with us
BSM Summit
Jim Cutler Demos

Sports TV News

FOX Goes All In On Getting Reggie Bush His Heisman Back

“Not once, but twice on Saturday, Bush’s Heisman was the subject of discussion on FOX platforms.”

Published

on

Reggie Bush has not been shy about his stance. Now that players in college sports can receive money for use of their name, image, and likeness, he should get his Heisman Trophy back.

The 2005 award was taken away from Bush in 2010 after the NCAA determined he received cash and his parents received a home in the San Diego area, where they lived rent-free. In June, the Heisman Trust said that the trophy would be returned if the NCAA reinstated Bush’s records and USC’s wins from the 2005 season. The NCAA declined to do so, so the Heisman Trust declined to recognize Reggie Bush as a Heisman winner.

It doesn’t seem fair and his FOX colleagues have taken notice. Not once, but twice on Saturday, Bush’s Heisman was the subject of discussion on FOX platforms.

It started on FOX’s Big Noon Kickoff during a discussion of candidates for the trophy this season. Rob Stone pointed to Bush and said “this man deserves his Heisman Trophy back.” Brady Quinn and Matt Leinart nodded in agreement as Reggie Bush said confidently “it’ll happen.”

The second, more emphatic, plea came in a segment that aired on both Big Noon Kickoff and FOX News.

Clay Travis sat down for an interview with Herschel Walker, who won the Heisman Trophy in 1982. Travis asked Walker about Bush directly.

“I tell you what. I’m a big fan of Reggie Bush. I’ve been saying that Reggie Bush should get his Heisman back,” Walker answered.

Travis pressed further to see just how serious the Georgia Senate candidate is about his stance. He asked Walker if it was something he had ever brought up with the Heisman Trust. Heschel Walker said it is and explained that he has never gotten a satisfying response.

“They really don’t give me an answer,” he said. “I don’t know why he don’t have it. If Reggie want to, I’ll go with him. I’ll help fight with him right now to get his Heisman back.”

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

Sports TV News

Jason Whitlock: Ryan Clark Wanted More Than Mina Kimes

“The whole thing was about getting more than Mina Kimes. I wish he had the heart to just say that rather all the other performative stuff.”

Avatar photo

Published

on

A photo of Jason Whitlock

One former ESPNer is alleging one of its talents wanted to make sure his new deal paid him more than a colleague. According to Jason Whitlock on X, Ryan Clark’s recent social media activity was all about securing a contract that was worth more than NFL analyst Mina Kimes’ deal:

For the uninitiated, Ryan Clark posted a lengthy video to his social media pages discussing the uncertainty of his future with ESPN, saying that his last deal with ESPN “wasn’t what he wanted” and that he “felt played.” This time around, he vowed things would be different, saying that he would, “leave no doubt that there was nobody in the world that was like [Clark].” That manifested in a new deal with ESPN, totaling over $2 million per year according to Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports, making him one of the highest-paid analysts at ESPN.

For what it’s worth, Kimes signed a deal in Sept. that pays her $1.7 million annually, meaning that Clark did wind up getting more than Kimes. However, it’s unknown if Kimes’ contract specifically was a sticking point for Clark or if he just simply wanted to be a top-X paid analyst within the company.

Outside of contributing to ESPN’s football coverage on NFL Live, he makes appearances on ESPN’s other shows, like First Take, Get Up, SportsCenter, and more. He is also the host of The CW’s Inside the NFL, a role that Clark admitted was something different. He also previously hosted an MMA show alongside former UFC heavyweight champion Daniel Cormier before it was revealed that “DC” would now host a new show alongside fellow UFC alum Chael Sonnen.

As part of Clark’s video, he mentioned his energy being finite, which may have led to his MMA show and other responsibilities going by the wayside as part of this new deal, but there has been no official word as to whether that’s the case or not.

“What I realized is, you only got so much to give, and all you can give is all the energy that God gives you,” Clark said. “And I did that, but I also learned that you run out. And at some point, you don’t have nothing left. I’d do whatever it took to get what I want, and that I’d work harder and longer now to work less and make more then. And I felt like I put myself in that spot.”

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

Sports TV News

Ryan Clark Reportedly Returning to ESPN

This past season, Clark appeared on a variety of programming centered around the National Football League, including NFL Live and Monday Night Countdown.

Published

on

Ryan Clark
Courtesy: Allen Kee, ESPN Images

ESPN NFL analyst Ryan Clark has reached a verbal agreement to remain at ESPN, extending his time at the network. This past season, Clark appeared on a variety of programming centered around the National Football League, including NFL Live and Monday Night Countdown. News of Clark deciding to remain at ESPN was first reported by Andrew Marchand of The Athletic. Additionally, Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports has reported that the deal will pay him over $2 million per year. ESPN confirmed the news on Monday afternoon, stating that he would continue his role across network programming.

Just days after the Super Bowl, Clark outlined how he wanted to prove his worth and leave no doubt the last time he signed an extension with ESPN three years ago. At the time, he felt he was worth more than what he received and set out to end the conversations about who he was in the sports media business. Although Clark’s contract expired before Super Bowl LVIII, he and the network agreed to extend it through the conclusion of the championship matchup.

During the NFL postseason, ESPN studio programming garnered multi-year peaks in viewership. Editions of NFL Live averaged 486,000 viewers over 14 programs between Jan. 9 and Jan. 26, rendering it the most-watched playoff run of the program in nine seasons. The Postseason NFL Countdown show featuring the Monday Night Countdown cast averaged 4.7 million viewers on ESPN and ABC ahead of the network’s broadcast of the divisional round matchup between the Houston Texans and Baltimore Ravens on Saturday, Jan. 20.

Outside of his role at ESPN, Clark recently completed his first year hosting Inside the NFL on The CW. The Emmy award-winning weekly series moved to the network after it was dropped by Paramount+ last April and featured a new cast starring Jay Cutler, Chad Johnson, Chris Long and Channing Crowder. He and Crowder work alongside Fred Taylor on The Pivot podcast, an independent venture outside of ESPN. Clark balanced these roles with his ESPN obligations, which has also included appearances on programming such as Get Up, First Take and SportsCenter.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

Sports TV News

ESPN Hires Jorge Castillo to Cover Yankees & Mets

“As someone who grew up consuming everything ESPN, this opportunity is truly a dream come true for me. I’m honored to join such a great baseball crew…”

Avatar photo

Published

on

Jorge Ramos ESPN Beat Writer

Longtime Los Angeles Times writer Jorge Castillo will switch coasts and cover the New York Mets and Yankees for ESPN. The company announced the news earlier today, sharing that Castillo’s assignments will begin on ESPN.com today.

“As someone who grew up consuming everything ESPN, this opportunity is truly a dream come true for me,” Castillo said. “I’m honored to join such a great baseball crew and excited to work with so many talented people.”

According to ESPN, Castillo will, “contribute news, analysis, storytelling, and live event coverage on the Yankees and Mets, with additional national MLB coverage throughout the season and postseason. He will also contribute on TV and radio.”

Castillo is no stranger to the area, though — he previously covered baseball for the New York Times and the Star-Ledger in New Jersey. Now, he returns to cover the local clubs for the Worldwide Leader.

“We’re thrilled to welcome Jorge to ESPN’s baseball team. He’s covered some of baseball’s biggest franchises in some of its toughest markets, and we expect nothing less from him in New York,” said Rachel Ullrich, ESPN Deputy Editor for ESPN.com. “We can’t wait to add his incredible reporting, thoughtful analysis, and creative storytelling to our talented team.”

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement

Upcoming Events

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.