In Australia, the country’s highest court ruled that media companies are liable for people’s comments under articles on Facebook. As a result, CNN states it will no longer distribute content on the social media platform in Australia.
CNN did try to continue posting on Facebook in the country as it asked the platform’s tech firm if it would “support CNN and other publishers by disabling the comment functionality on their platform in Australia.”
Furthermore, a CNN spokesperson acknowledged in a statement that Facebook “chose not to” help them regarding this matter.
“We are disappointed that Facebook, once again, has failed to ensure its platform is a place for credible journalism and productive dialogue around current events among its users,” the CNN spokesperson said.
Facebook allows people and publishers with pages to turn off comments to their posts or otherwise limit the capacity for people to comment to chosen pages and profiles.
However, CNN requested a feature that allows a page-wide setting to turn off comments in Australia. Instead, Facebook gave directions for how the media organization can disable comments post by post.
With Facebook no helping and the high courts in Australia not on their side, CNN decided the best decision was to stop posting content.
Katty Kay Resigns From Role Following Ozy Media Controversy
Kay arrived in May to become the senior editor and executive producer after she departed the BBC
Ozy Media is in a crisis following a report from The New York Times where a top executive tried to deceive potential investors. As a result, a prominent journalist from the media outlet has handed in her resignation.
Veteran reporter and political analyst Katty Kay announced on Twitter that she’s resigning from her position within Ozy.
“Yesterday morning, I handed in my resignation to Ozy Media,” Kay tweeted. “I was looking forward to working with the talented young reporters, but I did not expect this!”
Kay arrived in May to become the senior editor and executive producer after she departed the BBC. The reason for Kay’s decision to exit Ozy was the report of an executive impersonated a YouTube staffer while on a conference call with possible investors from Goldman Sachs.
During the call, the Ozy executive stated, “Ozy was a great success on YouTube, racking up significant views and ad dollars,” according to the Times reported.
YouTube decided to investigate the matter once it was brought to their attention that someone impersonated a representative.
Ozy founder and CEO Carlos Watson apologized to Goldman Sachs, stating that an Ozy executive impersonated a YouTube staffer, Chief Operating Officer Samir Rao, who had been going through a mental health crisis.
Capital Gazette Shooter Sentenced to Life in Prison Without Parole
On Tuesday, he heard the impact statements of families of the victims in the courtroom
The victims of the Capital Gazette shooting now have justice as Jarrod Ramos, the man who opened fire in the Capital Gazette newsroom in Annapolis, Md., in 2018, received a life sentence in prison without the possibility of parole.
During the shooting, Ramos shot and killed five newspaper employees. After much deliberation, a jury decided that he had the mental and emotional capacity to be held criminally accountable for the attack.
Ramos was upset with his coverage by the Capital Gazette, which resulted in him meticulously organizing the attack following a harassment conviction involving a former classmate in 2011.
On Tuesday, he heard the impact statements of families of the victims in the courtroom, which was relayed by The Washington Post.
“There were days I wondered why I lived or if I should live at all,” Selene San Felice, a reporter that survived the shooting, said. “I live to spread the truth. We will press on.”
A daughter of slain staffer Wendi Winters stated to reporters outside the courthouse that the life sentence Ramos received “brings us solace that the person that took her from us will never breathe freedom again.”
Marketing Professor Scott Galloway Hosting a Show on CNN+
CNN stated that Galloway’s show would be among the slate of original, live programming available when CNN+ launches next year.
CNN is diving into the streaming service as it will launch CNN+ in the first quarter of 2022. As the network fills out programming, they announced marketing professor Scott Galloway is the latest tapped to host a show.
“Think ‘Queen’s Gambit,’ minus the talent and production values,” Galloway said when discussing what kind of show he’s aiming to have. The marketing professor adds that it will be a program where “the news and conversations where business and technology collide.”
Along with his new role with CNN+, Galloway is a professor of marketing at NYU’s Stern School of Business. Also, he’s the Prof G Show podcast host and the co-host of the Pivot podcast.
CNN stated that Galloway’s show would be among the slate of original, live programming available when CNN+ launches next year. Further details regarding Galloway’s new program, additional hires, and CNN+’s entire lineup will be available in the months to come.
Galloway isn’t the only one hosting a program on the streaming service, as Kasie Hunt, who recently joined the network after exiting NBC News this past summer, is also anchoring a show.
Sports TV News3 days ago
Pablo Torre: Tony Kornheiser Refused To Participate In PTI Doc
Sports TV News19 hours ago
First Take Ratings Falling After Max Kellerman’s Exit
Sports TV News1 day ago
Jason Whitlock: I Wouldn’t Let Myself Do What Shannon Sharpe Does On TV
Sports Online2 days ago
Katie Nolan Announces She Is No Longer With ESPN