Connect with us
Register for the BSM Summit Now

News Print & Digital

iHeartMedia Announces New True-Crime Podcast With M. William Phelps

The podcast debuts on October 12 and runs in 12-week installments, with new episodes premiering Tuesdays on iHeartRadio and other major platforms.

Published

on

True crime is one of the more popular genres for podcasts, and iHeartMedia is ready to add another program to the growing list. The media outlet announced a new true-crime podcast hosted by investigative journalist and New York Times Bestselling Author M. William Phelps. 

“Crossing the Line with M. William Phelps” is a weekly podcast tackling prominent yet sometimes polarizing topics in the true-crime space, as well as investigate obscure cold cases with the belief of revealing more information that could lead to closure.

“We are thrilled to team up with M. William Phelps again to produce a new slate of true crime podcasts,” Will Pearson, Chief Operating Officer for the iHeartPodcast Network, said. “We’ve seen incredible success with ‘Paper Ghosts,’ and it’s proven that M. William Phelps isn’t afraid to ask the hard questions. 

“The new shows on this slate will no doubt continue in that success – investigating unsolved crimes and sharing untold stories that will keep listeners tuning into each episode curious for more answers.”

The podcast debuts on October 12 and runs in 12-week installments, with new episodes premiering Tuesdays on iHeartRadio and other major platforms.

“‘Crossing the Line’ pulls together 20 years of work in true crime television and books- a confluence of access and being on the frontline of investigative journalism,” Phelps said. 

“You’re going to hear the inside story of murder and missing cases from insiders — including the killers themselves — with the main focus on victims and their family’s stories, including my own.”

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Click to comment

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

News Print & Digital

Ozy Media CEO Carlos Watson Says Company Isn’t Shutting Down

“We’re going to open for business, so we’re making news today,” Watson stated.

Published

on

Over the weekend, Ozy Media’s board of directors determined it was best to shut the company down following a story in The New York Times. 

The report revealed that a top executive for the company impersonated a YouTube staffer while on a conference call with possible investors from Goldman Sachs.

Despite this announcement by the board, CEO Carlos Watson told NBC’s “Today” that his company, Ozy Media, is not shutting down. 

“We’re going to open for business, so we’re making news today,” Watson stated. “This is our Lazarus moment if you will. Last week was traumatic. It was difficult — heartbreaking in many ways — and at the end of the week, we did suspend operations with a plan to wind down.”

“But as we spent time over the weekend, we talked to advertising partners, we talked to some of our readers, some of our viewers, some of our investors.”

Watson might be open for business, but it seems as though his staffers won’t be returning. Veteran journalist Katty Kay presented her resignation after joining Ozy Media in May, and it looks as though she won’t be alone. 

The Wrap reported some of the comments made by former Ozy Media staffers since the first report of the scandal have caused many to get on this roller coaster ride. 

“There does not appear to be a plan. Carlos has gone completely rogue,” one former staffer said. “The entire editorial staff is done with him — who would possibly go back? Who the hell is going to want to go on ‘The Carlos Watson Show’ now?”

“We are all sick of the roller coaster,” another former employee said.

While these former staffers chose to remain anonymous, The Wrap did speak to Eugene Robinson, a former editor at large at Ozy Media, who stated that Watson is “nuts” for wanting to continue with the company. 

“The brand is damaged beyond repair, and the name never made sense,” Robinson said. “I’d launch again with a lot of the same staff sans Watson and Rao and rebrand. But I think that golden goose is dead.”

Continue Reading

News Print & Digital

Ozy Media Unable to Survive Scandal, Company Shuts Down

Ozy’s board of directors to announce with the “heaviest of hearts” that the media outlet is closing.

Published

on

Ozy Media is no more as the company couldn’t overcome the scandal reported in The New York Times. The Times also obtained the memo by the Ozy’s board of directors to announce with the “heaviest of hearts” that the media outlet is closing.

“At Ozy, we have been blessed with a remarkable team of dedicated staff,” the statement said. 

”Many of them are world-class journalists and experienced professionals to whom we owe tremendous gratitude and who are wonderful colleagues. It is, therefore, with the heaviest of hearts that we must announce today that we are closing Ozy’s doors.”

The information from the newspaper revealed that the chief operating officer, Samir Rao, had impersonated a YouTube staffer while on a conference call with possible investors from Goldman Sachs.

Ozy co-founder Carlos Watson apologized to Goldman Sachs and stated Rao went through a mental health crisis. Following the report, veteran journalist Katty Kay presented her resignation after joining Ozy Media in May. 

“Yesterday morning, I handed in my resignation to Ozy Media,” Kay tweeted. “I was looking forward to working with the talented young reporters, but I did not expect this!”

Continue Reading

News Print & Digital

A Judge Finds Alex Jones Liable in Two Sandy Hook Lawsuits

These rulings conclusively indicate that Jones lost the cases by default, and now a jury will conclude how much he will have to pay the plaintiffs.

Published

on

According to HuffPost, a judge found Infowars’ Alex Jones legally liable in two lawsuits for damages emerging from his allegations regarding the Sandy Hook school shooting in 2012.

A judge issued default judgments toward Jones and his right-wing website for neglecting to comply with requests to present information for the lawsuits brought by parents of two children killed in the shooting. 

These rulings conclusively indicate that Jones lost the cases by default, and now a jury will conclude how much he will have to pay the plaintiffs.

An attorney for the parents, Mark Bankston, said to CNN that the verdicts will accommodate his clients with “the closure they deserve.”

“Mr. Jones was given ample opportunity to take these lawsuits seriously and obey the rule of law. He chose not to do so, and now he will face the consequences for that decision,” Bankston said.

Jones did provide a statement on Infowars following the judge’s decision to hold him liable for these two suits. 

“It takes no account of the tens of thousands of documents produced by the defendants, the hours spent sitting for depositions, and the various sworn statements filed in these cases,” the statement said. “We are distressed by what we regard as a blatant abuse of discretion by the trial court. We are determined to see that these cases are heard on the merits.”

Jones has falsely stated that the shooting at Sandy Hook was a lie brought by crisis actors and organized by adversaries of the Second Amendment. 

However, in 2019, Jones confessed the shooting was an actual tragic event during a sworn oath he did as a component of a defamation suit instituted against him by Sandy Hook victims’ families.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.