Connect with us
Outkick 360

Sports Radio News

Boomer & Gio: Why Does New York Post’s Premium Sports Site Exist?

“The stuff that is Post Sports+ I wouldn’t touch with somebody else’s eyes.”

Published

on

With the departure of Steve Somers from WFAN, along with the implementation of new premium subscription services, such as The Athletic and ESPN+, WFAN welcomed sports media columnist for The New York Post Andrew Marchand to the program to talk about the latest happenings across the industry. The conversation centered around a foray into the concept of “Post Sports+,” a new paid subscription service being offered by The New York Post which is being branded as “A whole new ball game for The Best Sports in Town.” Many of Marchand’s columns about the latest news in sports media are available to read for free on The New York Post website, and he often tweets about the latest news in the industry on his own personal Twitter page, making his role within the service seem, at least to the hosts of Boomer and Gio, confounding.

“I read the New York Post sports section every day,” said Gregg Gianotti. “I think it’s some of the best reporting that we have in the City… I’m a guy who is consuming your stuff every single day. The stuff that is Post Sports+ I wouldn’t touch with somebody else’s eyes… If you’re going to do Post Sports+, why not put the good stuff behind the paywall?”

Marchand explained the strategy being enacted by The New York Post to augment its revenue stream.

“I think what we’re doing is more additive,” said Marchand. “[For] people that have read the Post online previously, nothing’s changed. If you like sports media, I’m now doing a Monday newsletter all about sports media [where] I’m trying to give you more in terms of inside the business. That’s extra, and part of your monthly subscription… Obviously, what we’re trying to do is add revenue, but do it without taking that core business where we’re getting millions of people every day who come to the website.”

Marchand continued to elaborate on the strategy when pressed by Giannotti regarding just who this subscription service was appealing to, ostensibly positing that it is an effort to ensure that The New York Post stays around for another 220 years.

“You’re not getting everybody,” elucidated Marchand. “That’s not how a subscription works. If you get one out of 10 people, then you have a chance at success. Because of the digital world, [distribution] has changed. Back in the day, The New York Post could only reach as far as the trucks would drive. Now [with] distribution, you can reach around the world. I don’t know our demographics of Post Sports+, but in theory, when you look at a subscription site, you get a certain amount that’s additive revenue to The New York Post, and that’s the idea behind it.”

Show co-host and former NFL quarterback Boomer Esiason then chimed in on the discussion, discerning what he does when WFAN asks him to participate in extra station activities, such as meeting with sponsors, in a lighthearted exchange.

“I wouldn’t really do a lot,” said Esiason. “I used to do a lot. No more — I just tell them to go eff off and leave me alone… No, I’m just kidding.”

“That might have worked with [Mark] Chernoff, but is that going to work with Spike Eskin?,” questioned Marchand, generating laughter in the studios at 345 Hudson St.

Esiason then spoke about the burden it is for him to be bothered by multiple subscription services from The New York Post; that is, having to subscribe to both the paper itself and Post Sports+ to get a full plethora of stories. He believes the paper is making a mistake in this regard, and, as a writer, Marchand agrees.

“I’ve asked about that because I actually agree with you on that one,” said Marchand. “I’ve been told that they’re working on that. I tend to agree that there should be some sort of deal there — [maybe] if you’re paying for The New York Post app, maybe you get Post Sports+?”

Whatever the future holds for Post Sports+, Marchand figures to be covering the world of sports media across multiple platforms, aligning with the approach many sectors of traditional and digital media are beginning to take in producing and distributing their content to the largest audience possible.

Sports Radio News

Paul Konerko: Les Grobstein’s Recorder As Iconic As Zapruder Film

“He said the iconic audio of Elia’s rant was shared in the clubhouse with regularity.”

Published

on

After news of Les Grobstein’s death became public earlier this week, plenty of friends and colleagues in and around Chicago offered public tributes and shared memories of him. Around the country, many people noted that Grobstein may be best known as the reporter that asked the question that inspired Lee Elia’s famous rant about unemployed Cubs fans.

On Thursday, that question and the piece of equipment it was recorded on were in the spotlight on 670 The Score. Former White Sox slugger Paul Konerko joined Parkins and Spiegel to share memories of his interactions with Les Grobstein. He said the iconic audio of Elia’s rant was shared in the clubhouse with regularity.

“When we first heard it, we thought it had to be an act or someone pretending,” the former first baseman said. “Then obviously we found out it wasn’t. I mean, that year alone, I probably listened to it a thousand times.”

Paul Konerko got very curious to learn more about the story behind the rant when he found out that Les Grobstein was the one that had recorded it. On top of that, he still had and used the same recorder to talk to Konerko and his teammates that he used to talk to Lee Elia in 1983. He joked that the recorder looked like it was already 40 years old when it captured the iconic moment.

“You know, Les wasn’t always around us, so when he came in it was like a special occasion, and it was clearly going to be the topic of conversation every time I saw the man.”

It wasn’t lost on Konerko that Grobstein’s presence gave him the chance to learn more about one of the more infamous moments in Chicago sports history. The presence of the recorder made it hard not to want to re-enact the exchange.

“To me, it’s like the Zapruder film in the JFK assassination, you know? It’s like such a famous piece of evidence that this really happened.”

Continue Reading

Sports Radio News

Dan Patrick Tries To Steal Mike Ryan From Dan Le Batard

“I’m going to be a Dan you love.”

Published

on

Last month, longtime Dan Patrick Show staffer and “Dannette” Andrew “McLovin” Perloff departed the show for the greener pastures of CBS Sports Radio and a show of his own with Maggie Gray.

For now, there still hasn’t been a replacement for Perloff found, and his chair on the show’s set remains empty. On Thursday, as part of a bit, Patrick made an attempt to secure a replacement while appearing on The Dan Le Betard Show with Stugotz.

That replacement was Le Betard’s executive producer Mike Ryan. Dan Patrick joined the show acting like nobody told Le Betard the news.

“What am I missing here? I apologize, because Dan was surprised when I said I have the ‘Dannettes’ here,” Patrick said. “I got Seton and Paulie ready to welcome Mike Ryan to take over for McLovin’s seat here.”

“We’re going to treat you with respect,” he added. “I’m going to be a Dan you love.”

After some back and forth, and much to the continued confusion of Le Betard, Ryan said the idea of joining Patrick’s operation was appealing.

“This is interesting, and you’re on television, which is something I miss,” he said.

Patrick continued the point that Mike Ryan would be welcomed with open arms and made a co-executive producer of his show.

“Don’t worry about any of this nonsense,” he said. “I’m sick of the shit that these guys put you through…The gloves are off, Dan!”

Le Betard said he held Patrick in high regard because Patrick helped him make the transition from ESPN to DraftKings. He told Patrick they couldn’t be friends anymore with this betrayal.

“You’re raiding my family! What are you doing?” Le Betard said.

Dan Patrick finished off the bit with one last jab before Le Betard told him to go away.

“This is the transfer portal of radio shows,” he said. “I just wanted to let you know.”

Continue Reading

Sports Radio News

Doug Franz Launching Sports Betting Podcast, ‘Props Arizona,’ With Sean Lockhart

“I appreciate Doug & Wolf listeners more than they’ll ever know, and I’m excited for them to experience my new podcast Props Arizona.”

Published

on

Following his dismissal from Arizona Sports 98.7 FM, Doug Franz has found a new gig. Franz will join sports gambling expert Sean “Papa Bear” Lockhart to host a new podcast for Props.com titled Props Arizona.

Franz was a mainstay on Phoenix sports talk radio, co-hosting The Doug and Wolf Show in the market for 15 years. Parent company Bonneville Phoenix said Franz would be moved to a “digital role” in shuffling the Arizona Sports daily lineup last August.

But Franz said he was effectively fired. Soon after leaving 98.7 FM, he launched a daily podcast titled Doug Franz Unplugged.

Lockhart has been a mainstay in Arizona, consulting on sports betting and sales since graduating from Arizona State. He’s provided analysis for several sports betting podcasts and digital shows, in addition to his own website, for several years.

“I’m thrilled to have the opportunity to work alongside Sean on this new podcast,” said Franz in the official announcement from gambling media company American Affiliate. “I appreciate Doug & Wolf listeners more than they’ll ever know, and I’m excited for them to experience my new podcast Props Arizona.”

For American Affiliate, which has several sports betting and investment properties in its portfolio including BetPrep and Wagers, Props Arizona is the first regional (or state-exclusive) spinoff of its Props City podcast.

Props Arizona is set to launch at the end of January. The show will be available on all major podcast platforms including Apple Podcasts and Spotify. A teaser for the show is currently online for download.

Continue Reading
Advertisement
Advertisement

Trending

Copyright © 2021 Barrett Media.