Connect with us
Jim Cutler Demos

News Television

Nielsen Turns Down Buyout Offer From a Private Equity Consortium

Over the past few months, Nielsen has been on the receiving end of criticism from TV Networks and their companies.

Eduardo Razo

Published

on

Nielsen-Logo

Nielsen has turned down an offer that they believe was an “unsolicited” buyout proposal from a private equity consortium. The data and market measurement firm states that the $25.40 per share offer “significantly undervalues” what it believes they are worth. 

In addition, the board also added that based on feedback from WindAcre, one of Nielsen’s largest shareholders, it decided that the transaction would be “highly unlikely” to obtain shareholder approval.

“We continue to have strong confidence in the management team and Nielsen’s strategy to create long-term value for shareholders,” Nielsen Chairman James A. Attwood in a statement, per Variety

“We are always open to exploring any avenue to create value for shareholders, but the Board is in agreement with WindAcre, one of our largest shareholders, that the Consortium’s proposal significantly undervalues the Company. Further reflecting our confidence in the Company, we plan to commence share repurchases, which we expect to be an important element of our ongoing balanced capital allocation strategy.”

Over the past few months, Nielsen has been on the receiving end of criticism from TV Networks and their companies. These parties have grown disappointed with Nielsen’s capability to calculate viewers who may watch their favorite shows through digital means such as mobile screens and streaming video.

The Nielsen board declared it was moving ahead with a previously authorized $1 billion share repurchase program. It plans to start buying back its stock after reporting first-quarter earnings on April 21.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.

News Television

Longtime NBC News Executive Don Browne Dies

Doctors found a brain tumor in Browne in 2021 mere months after his wife, Maria, died of cancer.

Avatar photo

Published

on

A photo of Don Browne
(Photo: Bryan Bedder/Getty Images)

Former NBC News executive Don Browne died Wednesday. He was 80 years old.

Browne spent more than 30 years with NBC News, joining the company in 1979 after a decade at CBS News. After beginning as the network’s Miami bureau chief, he later ascended to the role of Executive News Director where he oversaw the Today Show.

In 1991, he became the Executive Vice President of NBC News. Dateline NBC was launched under his tutelage.

He later became the President and General Manager of NBC’s owned-and-operated WTVJ in Miami, before returning to the NBCUniversal executive team with Telemundo before retiring in 2011.

“He believed in quality journalism. But more importantly, he knew that great people would be able to tell great stories with support, mentoring, and coaching,” said NBC News Executive Yvette Miley told NBC Miami.

Doctors found a brain tumor in Browne in 2021 mere months after his wife, Maria, died of cancer.

Browne is survived by two sons and two grandchildren.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Stuart Varney and Dana Perino to Moderate Next Fox News Debate

Both Varney and Perino have contributed to Fox News election coverage in the past, including during the 2022 midterms.

Avatar photo

Published

on

A photo of Stuart Varney, Dana Perino, and the Fox News logo

Fox Business Network anchor Stuart Varney and Fox News anchor Dana Perino have been tabbed as moderators for the next 2024 Republican Presidential debate to air on Fox News.

Additionally, the debate will also air in Spanish on Univision, with Ilia Calderón co-moderating the event.

“We are very proud to have Stuart Varney and Dana Perino co-moderating the second debate with Univision to provide Americans with a comprehensive view of the qualifying candidates vying for the Republican nomination for president,” Fox News President Jay Wallace said in a statement.

Varney is one of the original anchors of Fox Business Network. He joined in 2007 to host Varney & Co., which is the highest-rated market-hour program in business television.

Perino co-anchors America’s Newsroom and serves as a panelist on The Five for Fox News.

Both Varney and Perino have contributed to Fox News election coverage in the past, including during the 2022 midterms.

The event is currently scheduled for Wednesday, September 27th from 9:00-11:00 PM ET. The second debate will be held at the Ronald Reagan Presidential Library in Simi Valley, California.

In addition to airing on Fox News and Univision, the debate will be simulcast on the FOX Nation streaming service and on Fox News Headlines 24/7 on SiriusXM Channel 115.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading

News Television

Widow of Roger Ailes: Fox News Has Become Boring, Lacks Star Power

“Frankly, I think that Fox — like the other mainstream news channels — are boring. They repeat the same thing every hour.”

Avatar photo

Published

on

A photo of Eric Bolling interviewing Elizabeth Ailes
(Photo: Newsmax)

Beth Ailes, the widow of former Fox News CEO Roger Ailes, appeared on Newsmax Tuesday evening and had harsh criticism for the cable network her husband helped build.

During Eric Bolling The Balance, Ailes argued that Fox News has experienced a loss in viewership due to the upstart Newsmax.

“I think that a lot of the audience has left and that’s because there’s no more Eric Bolling, there is no more Bill O’Reilly, there’s no Greta (Van Susteren). Where is everybody? They’re on Newsmax,” said Ailes. “They have other places to go. There are other ways to get the news and frankly, I think that Fox — like the other mainstream news channels — are boring. They repeat the same thing every hour.”

In July, Fox News was the top-rated basic cable channel in primetime, featuring an average of 1.57 million viewers. In total day viewers, the network saw just over 1 million on average. However, those figures represent a 26% drop compared to July 2022.

It isn’t the first time Ailes has been critical of her husband’s former network. Earlier this year, on his birthday, Ailes tweeted a photo of her husband applauding him for building up the cable giant before saying it only took “6 years for the Murdochs to wreak havoc. Rupert thought he could do your job. What a joke. He has the checkbook but could never come close to your genius.”

Roger Ailes left Fox News in disgrace in 2016 after multiple allegations of sexual harassment by employees were uncovered. He died in 2017. Bolling, like Ailes, also departed Fox News due to sexual misconduct allegations. He has continually denied those claims.

Sign up for the BSM 8@8

The Top 8 Sports Media Stories of the Day, sent directly to your inbox, every morning at 8am ET.

Invalid email address
We promise not to spam you. You can unsubscribe at any time.
Continue Reading
Advertisement

Advertisement

Upcoming Events

Barrett Media Writers

Copyright © 2024 Barrett Media.