Sports TV News
Vince McMahon Elects Himself Executive Chairman, Plans WWE Return
Vince McMahon is planning a return to the WWE, several months after announcing his retirement from the company amid a sexual misconduct investigation.
McMahon announced Thursday that he had elected himself executive chairman of the company, bringing former co-presidents and board members Michelle Wilson and George Barrios with him. Despite stepping away from WWE last year, McMahon remains the company’s controlling shareholder.
Stephanie McMahon and Nick Khan have been running the company as co-CEO’s since Vince McMahon departed. Stephanie’s husband Paul Levesque, who performed under the name Triple H, has been in charge of WWE TV creative.
The return of Mr. McMahon is said to be coming at a point when WWE is coming up on negotiating new media rights deals. The WWE currently partners with NBCUniversal and FOX in the United States for its weekly television programs, RAW and Smackdown. Other reports indicate that McMahon wants to be present and involved and provide his blessing on any sale of the company.
“The only way for WWE to fully capitalize on this opportunity is for me to return as Executive Chairman and support the management team in the negotiations for our media rights and to combine that with a review of strategic alternatives,” Vince said. “My return will allow WWE, as well as any transaction counterparties, to engage in these processes knowing they will have the support of the controlling shareholder.”
The news about McMahon’s return was considered a positive among investors. The company’s stock rose 10% after hours following the announcement.
Jordan Bondurant is a features reporter for Barrett Sports Media. He’s a multimedia journalist and communicator who works at the Virginia State Corporation Commission in Richmond. Jordan also contributes occasional coverage of the Washington Capitals for the blog NoVa Caps. His prior media experiences include working for the Richmond Times-Dispatch, the Danville Register & Bee, Virginia Lawyers Weekly, WRIC-TV 8News and Audacy Richmond. He can be reached by email at firstname.lastname@example.org or follow him on Twitter @J__Bondurant.
Sports TV News
Adam Silver Addresses Disney Rumors at NBA Board of Governors Meeting
“I have no intention of going anywhere.”
Adam Silver wants NBA team governors to know that he wants to keep working for them. The league commissioner addressed rumors that he is on a short list of potential successors for Bob Iger when he steps down from the CEO role at The Walt Disney Company in 2024.
Silver, whose contract with the NBA happens to expire in 2024, was asked directly if he had spoken with Iger or anyone else at Disney.
“I love my job at the NBA,” he reportedly said at a Board of Governors meeting. “I have no intention of going anywhere.”
The inclusion of Silver’s name on Iger’s list makes a lot of sense. The NBA and Disney have had a great relationship predating Silver taking over the commissioner’s role. ABC and ESPN are expected to renew their TV deal with the league this summer.
The two sides also partnered on a live entertainment complex at Disney Springs on Walt Disney World property in Florida called The NBA Experience. It closed during the Covid-19 pandemic.
At 60 years old, Adam Silver is likely in no hurry to retire. When his contract with the NBA expires, it will be up to him whether he wants to remain the commissioner of the league or not.
Sports TV News
NFL Network Cuts Continue With Willie McGinest
“McGinest is currently in the middle of a lawsuit resulting from an incident in a LA-area restaurant in December.”
Willie McGinest is the latest victim of cost reduction layoffs at NFL Media. The NFL Network analyst is out according to Michael McCarthy of Front Office Sports.
McGinest is currently in the middle of a lawsuit resulting from an incident in an LA-area restaurant in December. He is being sued and faces up to eight years in prison for allegedly attacking a fellow customer.
Since news of the investigation became public, NFL Network has kept Willie McGinest off the air.
McCarthy reached out to McGinest and NFL Network. Neither offered a comment at this time.
NFL Media has been busy this week as the company looks to reduce its expenses. Willie McGinest joins Jim Trotter and Rachel Bonnetta on the list of on-air talents that have lost their jobs at NFL Network.
Sports TV News
Holly Rowe Signs Long-Term Extension With ESPN
“I feel like I am living my best life and I am so grateful to ESPN for letting me keep doing this.”
ESPN reporter Holly Rowe has signed a multi-year extension to remain with the company.
Rowe works as a sideline reporter for ESPN/ABC’s coverage of college football — including the College Football Playoffs, the WNBA, women’s college basketball, and the Women’s College World Series, among other high-profile assignments.
“I feel like I am living my best life and I am so grateful to ESPN for letting me keep doing this,” Rowe told The Athletic’s Richard Deitsch.
Earlier this year, Rowe was named the 2023 Curt Gowdy Media Award winner from the Naismith Memorial Basketball Hall of Fame for her electronic media work.
Rowe joined ESPN in 1998, and signed her last contract extension with the network in 2018 shortly before she announced she had undergone her final chemotherapy treatment in August of that year after a melanoma diagnosis in 2016.
According to Deitsch, Rowe’s contract was set to expire next month.